Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Interview process


I have been for a few interviews lately (well three) and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to them. It doesn't matter how much you prepare and how many interview websites you go to for hints on the latest questions, they are never what you expect.

I went for an interview at an iconic national organisation and spent more than a week researching all the issues and current business initiatives about that organisation, only to be confronted with questions about the whereabouts of colleagues I worked with in 1989. Did I know what they were up to? And was I still in touch with them? It threw me, to be sure.

I declined another interview on the basis of the compulsory psychometric testing that would occur...


I already know I am as mad as a cut snake. I don't need an organisation to confirm it in writing. My mother kindly emailed an example of such testing undertaken in the US. She thought I needed to prepare in order that my true insanity not surface. There were such relevant work questions as:

Which of the following colours do you like most? a) red or orange b)black c)yellow or light blue d)green, e) dark purple, f)white g)brown or grey?

When you are in bed at night, in those last few moments before sleep, you are a) stretched out on your back b) face down on your stomach c)on your side slightly curled d) with your head under one arm or e) with your head under the covers?

Perhaps I like Black because it's slimming and other colours clash with my hair and not because I am a serial killer manic depressive? Maybe I stretch out on my back as I have backache? Maybe my head is under the covers cringing about dumb interview questions I got asked? I mean c'mon! these questions are just stupid...Recruiters need to rely on good old fashioned gut feeling sometimes. Will this person get on with the others at work or not? And are they experienced enough to do the job?

I went for another interview at a global organisation that is renowned for its tricky interview process. Thankfully the questions are mainly used on US intern applicants and not in Australia. The process is now adopted by a number of IT related businesses. So much so, there is now a plethora of websites to help you answer them (incidentally these questions are not just for the techie roles) -  Some of the random questions you could be asked include:



  • Design a cellphone for a blind person.
  • Design a GPS navigation unit for a hiker
  • Design an ATM for children
  • You have a bucket of jelly beans. Some are red, some are blue, and some green. With your eyes closed, pick out 2 of a like colour. How many do you have to grab to be sure you have 2 of the same?
  • How would you move a Mountain?
  • How would you test a pen?

  • I want to know why kids (and I picture my seven and five year old) need an ATM in the first place? And why do I want to move a mountain anyway? Why can't I just build around it? And in a non techical role in a non-confectionary company, will this role involve much random jelly bean picking? 

    As it turned out, most of the interview was dedicated to espousing the benefits of daily hot-desking (over 7 floors) and entirely paperless offices. As a  person who wastes entire forests on a daily basis just scribbling my to-do list, I broke out into hives just picturing the stress of not having my own space and trying to operate without pen and paper (which begs the question: Why do I need to test a pen in the interview anyway?)

    I went to another interview with a bone achingly large bag of show and tell stuff. Everything from successful media campaign clippings to annual reports to staff magazines dating back to the 90s. Apparently I was not enthusiastic enough. I suspect because the role paid peanuts, and they had ridiculous expectations. They wanted someone with 10+ years' experience, but only had the budget for a graduate placement.

    I don't want to sound finickity, but I suspect a large part of these dumb arsed questions are so some HR people can justify their salaries, because it wasn't so long ago they weren't that common in companies...and heaven forbid the companies work out they can still manage without them.





    3 comments:

    1. Oh, I'm in the states and i know exactly what you're talking about and to make matters worse, EVERYONE wants you to apply online. Thats all well and good if someone is actually going to look at the application and make a phone call as opposed to just putting it in the recycle bin. Its been a year; no one wants to hire a middle aged anybody unless you want to work for peanuts. Peanuts won't pay my mortgage.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I hear you anonymous! Either you have too much or not enough experience...or you need to have specifically worked in pet care because they are a pet care company and can't be bothered to see skills are transferrable! would love to hear about things in the states, so please keep coming back :-)

      ReplyDelete
    3. And good luck in the job hunt - I hear things are pretty tough over there...

      ReplyDelete