Thursday 16 October 2014

Lash Attack


Just to allay any thoughts I may be prejudiced against all recruiters and HR people in general, I have invited some of the awesome ones I referred to in an earlier post to guest blog for me from time to time. Today the brilliant Cher Campbell, funniest and friendliest practitioner of the dark art of recruitment that I know, co-owner of the coven "iPlace Recruitment" in North west Sydney shares a tip for candidates with an amusing anecdote from her time as a flesh-peddler. Cher is one of those rare exceptions who follows up with you, even if she has nothing on her books, just to tell you that you are still on her radar. She gives you honest feedback about interviews and is a real person. She gets the gold star and sets the benchmark for what recruiters should be.

---------------
So I’m waiting at my desk for my colleague to let me know that my interview is ready. The candidate was already 20 minutes late, no call and no apology. 
I walk into the room and shake her hand and always try to make people feel instantly at ease – it brings out the red flags way quicker.
My candidate – let’s call her “Josie”  - was sitting across from me and if I’m honest I detect a wee bit of attitude. You’re right Josie, my bad for sitting here waiting for you to turn up for your interview 20 mins late – how dare I?
 Attitude aside, she was well presented with a beautiful black mane of hair and honestly looked like an Indonesian version of Pocahontas. Beautiful skin, lovely smile and...oh my god what is wrong with her!?!?! 
I’m looking at her face and I just can’t figure out what is going on here. I scan quickly, like the Predator and quickly try and analyse what I’m up against. And then, like something out of a 3D movie it hits me. She’s lost one of her false eyelashes and, as she flicks her hair for the 87th time in 3 minutes, I realise it’s hanging from one of her extensions. It’s like her left eye is about to fly out of her head yet her right eye is almost recessed back. And I’m fixated. I actually can’t believe she can’t feel that one of her tarantulas has fallen off. They are so long and for about 15 seconds I’m questioning how someone can even see through lashes that long.

She continues talking about her current boss and how much she hates her. Cue 2nd red flag. Interview  101 – don’t bag out your current or former employees.
After 10 minutes of hearing why she can’t get on with any of her females colleagues I realise I’m too far gone and every time she makes a move, this lash lunges towards me and is hanging by a strand. In that moment I’m visualising this lash hanging like something out of cliffhanger.  3 red flags later and I’m done.
I decide then and there that I will introduce her to my colleague to get a second opinion and as we walk back into the room, she immediately spots the lash and snorts. How am I suddenly the most professional person in the room?
It was later that evening that I chuckled to myself at the thought of her arriving home and looking in the mirror....
Morale of the story – always check your appearance in a mirror before an interview.

Cher's business can be found at http://iplacerecruitment.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment